Aperiri vivendum has in. Eu fabellas deseruisse mea, hinc solum tractatos vim ad, ut quem voluptua nam. Ei graeci oblique perci.

Recent Posts

    Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.

Summer Pet Safety: Common Summer Dangers for Dogs

Summer is a great time for dogs to play outside, but watch out for these common dangers!

  1. Heartworms
    Just one mosquito bite could infect your dog with deadly heart worms. Invest in pet-safe mosquito repellants, candles, and sprays for your yard. NEVER use human mosquito repellant on your dogs – they are toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and skin irritations. Avoid leaving stagnant water around your home and yard. Removing mosquitoes’ access to water around your home is a great way to keep them from hanging out and breeding around your home and pets. Talk to your vet about the right heart worm prevention for your dogs.
  2. Coolant
    Dogs are attracted to the sweet taste of coolant. Be alert for drips from cars and consider switching to an animal-friendly coolant. Anti-freeze is  a common component in many coolants and is toxic to dogs and cats. A dog or cat who licks up coolant/antifreeze may initially experience symptoms such as: loss of balance, staggering, increased thirst and/or urination and excessive drooling. But the most dangerous effects of antifreeze poisoning occurs when it crystallizes in the body and causes kidney failure. In dogs, this can occur within 24 and 72 hours after consuming the antifreeze. For cats, this can happen in as little as 12-24 hours after consumption. Signs of kidney failure in pets include: lethargy, vomiting, lack of appetite, increased thirst and urination, followed by decreased thirst and urination, vomiting and collapse. If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze or coolant, take them to your vet immediately.
  3. Insecticides
    Many insecticides are dangerous to your dogs. Keep your pets away from areas that have been recently sprayed. Toxic levels of some insecticides can cause seizures and respiratory arrest. Some symptoms of insecticide poisoning are: fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, increased heart rate, lack of coordination, trouble breathing, hypersalivation, and seizures. If you suspect your pet may have ingested some form of insecticide, take them to your vet immediately so that they can be stabilized.
  4. Fertilizers
    Some fertilizers can cause vomiting and diarrhea, while others are LETHAL. Keep your dog away from freshly fertilized soil, and make sure you know exactly what you’re using in your garden! If your dog eats some grass that has had fertilizer applied to it, it rarely leads to serious poisoning. That said, more serious signs can be seen when the product is directly ingested, such as if your pet eats the fertilizer right out of the bag. This can cause tremors, seizures, abnormal heart rates, vomiting, drooling, lethargy, collapse, and even death. Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your pet may have ingested fertilizer and is experiencing any of the above symptoms.

Post a Comment