Summer Safety Tip – Cats Dehydrate Easily!
Did you know that cats are believed to be in a chronic state of dehydration? This is especially true in the summer months. Follow these tips and pay close attention to your cats to make sure they are drinking enough water!
- Cats should be drinking about 4 ounces of water for every 5 pounds of body weight daily.
- Cleaning out their water bowl daily helps prevent their water from getting stale, dirty and contaminated. It also promotes more drinking from your cats!
- If you can, invest in a water fountain for your cat. Cat’s instinctively prefer running water.
- Clean out your cat’s water bowl daily with warm water, just as you would your own dirty dishes.
- Noticeable increase or decrease in cats’ water intake could be a sign of a health issue! Contact your veterinarian if you notice a major change in your cat’s drinking habits.